The image below shows the northeast part of the Hare map of 1634 – the oldest to show a fragment of Bernards Heath, shaded in pale green. At that time it was called Barnett Heath with the town gallows pictured on the top right corner of the map. The map also shows that Barnett Heath was outside the boundary of the borough of St Albans (heavy black line).
The original of this map is in the care of the St Albans Museum but a colour copy hangs in the Maltings Library (at the far end, on the right-hand wall above the map cabinets). It is also reproduced as the frontispiece for ‘An archaeological strategy for historic centre of St Albans’ (2005). The map is also reproduced, in colour, on pages 148–149 of St Albans: a history by Mark Freeman (Carnegie Publishing 2008) ISBN 978-1-859-36139-9 (hardback), 978-1-859-36190-0 (paperback).
1883 OS map
Part of the 1883 OS Map showing the Eastern side of the Heath, with the Midland Railway line passing over Beach Bottom Dyke.
The scale was 6″ to one mile, but will be different on your screen.
1898 Ordnance Survey map
The Heath in detail and sections around the Ancient Briton junction and the Stonecross area are shown below:
1843 Tithe Map
A vector redrawn part of the 1843 Sandridge Parish Tithe map showing properties adjacent to Bernard Heath (sic). The original map is held at the HALS library in Hertford.
Tithe Apportionments* for the map above
|534||Earl Spencer||Robert Smith||Hither Upper Jennings||A||11||1||35||13||5|
|540||..||..||Seven and Eight Acres||A||17||1||2||1||0||6|
|543||..||..||Close Adjoining Windmill Farm||G||3||0||27||10||3|
|545||John Oakes||owner||Waterworks House and garden||-||2||7||2||0|
|546||George Alfred Muskett||Robert Weetley||House and garden||-||1||1||22|
|547||Earl Spencer||Robert Smith||Farmhouse buildings garden and orchard||-||4||1||22||7||0|
|548||Thomas Burningham||Widow Brown||Harvey Close||G||3||0||0||4||4|
|549||Charles Forman Gape||John Field||Little Meadow on Bernard Heath||G||2||3||29|
|550||Thomas Burningham||Widow Brown||Four Acres||A||4||2||25|
|558||..||..||Dead Womans Hill||A||3||3||35|
|560||Earl Spencer||Robert Smith||Bottom Close and Ten Acres||A||15||0||7||17||5|
*Areas are in acres, rods and perches, A, R, P, where 1 acre = 4 rods = 160 perches and 1 acre = 4840 square yards.
Not all payments to the vicar are listed.
2010 OS Explorer map of St Albans and Hatfield at a 1:25,00 scale shows Bernards Heath, but not in much detail.
Streetmap online has the advantage over above OS map in that streets are named and it can show more detail by zooming in.
The Google aerial map below shows the woodland areas on the Heath quite well, and a larger area of the Heath is outlined by a white broken line. The exact extent of the Heath is unknown. Part of Beech Bottom Dyke is outlined in red.
This shows the Heath schematically with brief notes about its history.
Slightly different maps of this type can be found on the interpretation boards on Sandridge Road, Harpenden Road and Townsend Drive which were installed by the Friends of Bernards Heath. These are currently being updated (2017).